Occupation Forces Suppress Anti-Settlement Rally in Sheikh Jarrah, Five People Detained

Occupation forces in Friday evening quelled the anti-settlement rally in Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in East Jerusalem and detained five people, said eyewitnesses. They told WAFA that Israeli forces attacked participants in the peaceful rally that was held on the main street in the neighborhood, and detained five people, including four Israeli activists. One young member of the Communist Party of Israel was wounded.

According to Free Jerusalem, “As in every other week, Israeli apartheid forces arrested violently four members of our group and a Palestinian activist. Being obsessed with the Palestinian flag reveals the racism and discrimination so embedded in the Israeli occupation. It comes directly from the occupation’s fear of solidarity activism. We will never stop, until Jerusalem is free, until Palestine is free.”

Two of the four Israeli anti-occupation activists detained during an anti-settlement rally in Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in East Jerusalem, Friday, October 6, 2023 (Photo: Free Jerusalem)

Occupation forces Friday assaulted and detained Head of the Colonization and Wall Resistance Commission Minister Moayad Shaaban and the commission’s cameraman during a military attack on a demonstration held to protest the illegal appropriation of land in the town of Deir Istiya to the west of Salfit. Abdallah Abu Rahmeh, head of the Popular Resistance Department at the commission, said Israeli forces beat up and detained minister Shaaban and the commission’s cameraman while they were participating in the demonstration. Forces attacked the demonstration with tear gas canisters; however, no injuries were reported.

To be noted, settlers over two months ago took over a plot of land in the said town, where they placed mobile homes and animal sheds, opened a dirt road, and extended water and electricity networks, in an obvious prelude to establish a new colonial outpost there.

In Kafr Qaddum, a journalist was injured by metal bullets and dozens of Palestinian residents suffered from suffocation today when Israeli occupation forces attacked the weekly march, east of Qalqilya. The coordinator of the popular resistance in Kafr Qaddum, Murad Shteiwi, said the occupation forces attacked the participants in the march and targeted them with rubber-coated metal bullets, stun grenades, and toxic tear gas, injuring a journalist by metal bullets. Dozens of others suffered from tear gas suffocation.

In Beit Dajan, several Palestinians suffocated by tear gas Friday during the occupation forces’ suppression of the weekly anti-settlement march, east of Nablus. Nasr Abu Jaish, coordinator of the Factional Coordination Committee in Nablus, told WAFA Palestinian news agency, that the occupation forces fired rubber-coated metal bullets, stun grenades, and toxic tear gas at the participants, causing a number of them to suffocate. A young man was also detained by the forces.

The Popular Committee for Defending the Land in Beit Dajan, the Wall and Settlement Resistance Committee, and the Factional Coordination Committee in Nablus called on citizens to participate in the march towards lands threatened with seizure by Israeli authorities for the benefit of settlement expansion.

Settlers attacked Friday Palestinian residents’ vehicles with live fire and stones in the town of Turmus Ayya to the north of Ramallah as well as near the northern entrance of al-Bireh city. Mayor of Turmus Ayya, Lafi Adeeb, told WAFA that several settlers raided agricultural lands east of the town and opened fire on Palestinian vehicles heading toward the nearby village of al-Mughayyir to attend a wedding, causing damage to one of the cars.

In the meantime, dozens of settlers, backed by military forces, gathered today near the DCO military checkpoint on the northern entrance to al-Bireh and pelted stones at Palestinian cars, causing damage to several cars.

Occupation forces also attacked the funeral procession of slain Palestinian Labeeb Dmaidi, 19, who was shot and killed late last Thursday in the town of Huwara, south of Nablus at the hands of an Israeli settler. Following the Friday noon prayers, Israeli soldiers attacked thousands of mourners heading to the cemetery for burial. They attacked mourners with live ammunition, rubber-coated steel bullets, tear gas canisters, and stun grenades, leading to violent confrontations. Two Palestinians were shot and injured; one by a rubber-coated steel bullet in the Jaw area, and the other by live fire in the foot. Dozens of others suffocated due to tear gas inhalation. Forces also attacked journalists at the scene, attacking them with stun grenades and tear gas canisters to prevent media coverage.

Residents in the town of Huwara attempted Thursday to fend off an attack carried out by dozens of colonists against them under the protection of Israeli forces. Sources at Rafidia surgical hospital in Nablus city told WAFA correspondent the youth was brought to the hospital in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the heart. However, attempts to save his life failed and he quickly succumbed to his wounds. Sources at the Palestinian Red Crescent said at least 25 people, including four children, suffocated by tear gas fired by the military forces during the attack on the town. they were treated at the scene.

Related: https://maki.org.il/en/?p=31225